I got the right rear caliper off to find the pads pretty worn and looking badly incinerated. I popped the pistons out and the only thing I could see on inspection was a rim of baked on crud around each of the pistons. The pistons and caliper bores were looking fairly pristine otherwise. After a lot of brake cleaner, metal polish and elbow grease I got it all looking ship-shape again. I still had a pair of new pads left so I reassembled it all and refitted it.
I bled the whole brake system and stuck the wheels on. Then both Adrian and Tim posted messages in the forum warning me to change the cross caliper link tube o-rings as the heat was likely to have damaged them and they have a propensity to suddenly fail. Brian Baldwin also sent me an email with a similar message. So I rang Hi Spec and ordered a set of seals (and some spares) for both the o-rings and the main piston seals.
Andy had wondered if this was the same corner that had been flopping round at Snett and indeed it is, although since then I had weekends at Mallory and Brands without brake issues. A check of Dan Bromilow’s blog (he doesn’t like it being called a blog but that alone is enough reason to continue calling it a blog ) confirmed that his brake binding issue at Brands was because of a caliper not sitting square on an upright so I wondered if the bracket holding the caliper onto the upright might have got a bit bent when the suspension failed.